[Live] VIDEO / TRANSCRIPT - Scott Bradner – A History of the Internet

ISOC_live support at isoc.live
Mon May 6 00:22:41 PDT 2024

*** ISOC.LIVE is free community webcasting support service sponsored by the
the Internet Society New York Chapter (ISOC-NY) - Big thanks to our May
2024 funder Vint Cerf ***

*50 years ago this week, in May 1974, Vint Cerf and Bob Kahn published
their paper 'A Protocol for Packet Network Intercommunication
<https://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/fall06/cos561/papers/cerf74.pdf>'
which launched IP/TCP, thus pretty much kickstarting the Internet.*

*We may see a lot of celebratory media over the coming weeks. I am taking
the opportunity to plumb the ISOC LIVE archive for some historical
material, starting with this talk, at Harvard in 2019, by Scott Bradner.
Note that it is titled 'A history of the Internet' with an accent on the
'A', as there are many histories.This is a fresh edit and
transcription.Scott Bradner himself, this week, has a fresh book out 'Forks
in the Digital Road
<https://global.oup.com/academic/product/forks-in-the-digital-road-9780197617779>'
(Oxford University Press), a reading of which would very much flesh out the
content of this presentation.*

[image: livestream] <https://livestream.com/internetsociety/scottbradner>*Scott
Bradner <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Bradner>* presentation ‘*A
History of the Internet
<https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/2019-02-05/history-internet>*‘ at
the *Berkman
Klein Center <https://cyber.harvard.edu/>* in Boston, on *February 5 2019*.
A veteran of ARPANET and the IETF, among Scott Bradner’s many roles are
Internet Society Trustee from 1993 to 1996 and secretary of the Board of
Trustees from 2003 to 2016.

*This talk provides a history of the reasons for and the technology of the
Internet. It also presents some of the reasons that the Internet has had
such an impact and some of the challenges that may cause the Internet of
tomorrow to be significantly less revolutionary than the Internet to date.*

*VIDEO
<https://archive.org/details/scott_bradner_history_of_the_internet> | AUDIO
<https://archive.org/download/scott_bradner_history_of_the_internet/scott_bradner_history_of_the_internet.mp3>
| TRANSCRIPT