[Live] 12 Streams #4 – On The Future Prospects for Humanity – Lord Martin Rees

ISOC_live support at isoc.live
Sun Dec 29 15:42:04 PST 2019

There's nothing like putting things in perspective! This presentation from
our annual stream of the ACC Awards certainly does that. As humanity, or
whatever supersedes it, moves off-planet, one thing is for sure, to
communicate they will be using DTN protocols as pioneered by the *Internet
Society InterPlanetary Networking SIG* <http://ipnsig.org/>. Lord Rees
himself was in the news today, having a go at Elon Musk for "*despoiling
the vault of heaven*
<https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/29/be-wary-of-elon-musk-despoiling-the-vault-of-heaven>
."

ISOC Live posted: "Today, Sunday December 29 2019, at 7pm EST (00:00 UTC)
in the fourth installment of the Internet Society Livestreaming‘s ‘12 Days
of Streams‘ annual highlights, we feature ‘On The Future Prospects for
Humanity‘ – a presentation by Astronomer Royal Lord Ma"

<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/onthefutur>Today, *Sunday December
29 2019*, at *7pm EST* (00:00 UTC) in the fourth installment of the *Internet
Society Livestreaming <https://isoc.live/>*‘s ‘*12 Days of Streams
<https://isoc.live/tag/12-streams/>*‘ annual highlights, we feature ‘*On
The Future Prospects for Humanity
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691180441/on-the-future>*‘
– a presentation by Astronomer Royal *Lord Martin Rees* when receiving
a *Arthur
C. Clarke Lifetime Achievement Award
<https://www.clarkefoundation.org/awards/>* in Washington DC on 17 October
2019.

In his talk, and the book of the same name, Lord Rees argues that
humanity’s future depends on our transcending petty affairs and taking the
long term view.

*VIEW ON LIVESTREAM: https://livestream.com/internetsociety/onthefuture
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/onthefuture>*

*ORIGINAL STREAM: https://livestream.com/internetsociety/unleash2019